Sunday, September 25, 2016

How’s Your Inner Critic?

Quote: “Your inner voice whispers, but speaks the loudest.”
Matshona Dhliwayo

Yes, I have been hearing voices in my head and those voices have names, Inner Critic. My Inner Critic fills me with uncertainty by shouting about my writing failures or tells me I don’t have enough talent to finish the book. Sometimes the know-it-all tells me I’m wasting my time because the manuscript will be rejected. Another name for the Inner Critic is Self-Doubt. I’m up to his tricks (or is it a her?) of trying to erode my confidence.

Usually, I don’t have a problem with the first draft or even when I’m revising. Inner Critic pays a visit when I have a request for a rewrite from an editor, especially when the directions are vague, such as I need to feel more emotion from the character or when the revision notes are multi-paged, single spaced. What? That much of the story doesn’t work, yet the editor is still interested.  

The first thing I do is read through the notes once, maybe twice. Then I do what comes naturally: I walk away from the notes and the computer. My Inner Critic is yakking. Who are you kidding? You can’t do this. What if you do all that work and she decides to pass on the manuscript? That’s a lot of time to invest. 

Inner Critic is an emotional barometer that most writers deal with. We can either let it drown us in fear to the point that we quit writing or we can use it as a motivator to gear up for a challenge. If all else fails, I feed it chocolate to shut it up; then we’re both happy. 

Next week, I’ll discuss ways I handle the fear and use the fear to improve my creative deeds. 

Call for submissions for Young Writers

The Daphne Review. We accept submissions from high school age artists only (ages 13-18). All submissions must be original works by a sole creator and must not  be previously published/printed. Any evidence of plagiarism or theft of ideas or images will result in the rejection of your submission.

 Written Submission Guidelines:

Each written submission should include the following materials:

1.) Introductory cover letter

2.) The written work, submitted as an attached Microsoft word document titled as follows: “Last Name_First Name” 

Art Submission Guidelines:

Each art submission should include the following materials:

1.) Introductory cover letter, including a brief bio in third person

2.) Attachment image of artwork in JPG format at a minimum resolution of 300 dpi. These attached image files should be titled as follows: “Last Name_First Name.”

3.) If the submitted work is part of a series (a triptych or comic strip, for example) then please number each image in the order in which they should appear. For example: “Last Name_First Name_1” and so on. 

Please send all submissions to alexis@thedaphnereview.org


 

Call for submissions for Adult Writers

Anthology call: “Our upcoming second anthology on multiples, Multiples Illuminated: Life With Twins and Triplets, the Toddler to Tween Years, will focus on stories about twins, triplets, or more from the toddler to tween years (ages two to 12). Editors Megan Woolsey and Alison Lee, both writers, and mothers of multiples (triplets and twins respectively), are calling writers who would like to contribute a personal essay and/or advice on their experience from the years of tantrums to a world of tampons and tween awkwardness. We are looking for stories that are honest, heartwarming, heart wrenching, and humorous.” Unpublished work only.

Deadline: November 30, 2016.

Submission guidelines at http://multiplesilluminated.com/call-for-submissions/

No comments:

Post a Comment